Pamela Wible, M.D., is a family physician and pioneer in the ideal medical care movement. In 2004, Dr. Wible left assembly-line medicine and held town hall meetings where she invited citizens to design their own ideal clinic. Open since 2005, Wible’s innovative practice has inspired physicians to create ideal clinics nationwide. Her model is now taught in medical schools and undergraduate medical humanities courses and is featured in the Harvard School of Public Health’s newest edition of Renegotiating Health Care: Resolving Conflict to Build Collaboration, a textbook examining major trends with the potential to change the dynamics of health care.
Dr. Wible is author of Amazon’s top-rated Pet Goats & Pap Smears: 101 Medical Adventures to Open Your Heart & Mind. She is also coauthor of two award-winning anthologies: Goddess Shift: Women Leading for a Change with Michelle Obama, Oprah Winfrey and other visionary women and Optimism: Cultivating the Magic Quality that Can Extend Your Lifespan, Boost Your Energy, and Make You Happy Now with Jimmy Carter, Steve Jobs and other world leaders.
When not treating patients in her community clinic, Dr. Wible devotes her time to medical student and physician suicide prevention. Her articles on physician suicide have been picked up by major news outlets such as The Washington Post and her pioneering work on ideal medical care and physician suicide aired on a special 2014 primetime segment on America Tonight. Dr. Wible has been interviewed by CNN, ABC, CBS, and she is a frequent guest on NPR.
An inspiring leader and educator of the next generation of physicians, Dr. Wible has been awarded the 2015 Women Leaders in Medicine Award from the American Medical Student Association.
- From assembly line medicine to ideal medical care.
- The surprising industry that hospitals are modeled after.
- The flaws of western medicine & getting back to real healing.
- Mind body spirit disintegration.
- Healing healthcare by educating medical school students on health and human skills for themselves and their patients.
- How the fear based medical model promotes abuse of medical students and doctors.
- The epidemic of physician suicide: 1 million Americans lose their doctors to suicide each year.
- Why doctors are afraid to seek help for fear of losing their licenses.
- How the medical profession destroys doctors.
- How Dr. Wible finds joy in educating people about physician suicide and saving lives.
- What kind of a society kills their own shamans?
- Loyalty & collaboration between patient and doctors.
- The solution: accessible, affordable health care outside of corporate.
- Why the healthcare industry needs to focus on disintermediation and break free from the current system.
- The mathematical formula that shows how high overhead is destroying your life.
- Ending the cycle of victimization.
LINKS & RESOURCES
- Create Your Ideal Clinic ~ Dr. Wible Speaks at Oregon College of Oriental Medicine
- Do Physician Health Programs Increase Physician Suicides?
- Connect with Dr. Pamela Wible on Facebook & Twitter
If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe, leave us a review on iTunes, and share the show with your friends, colleagues, and your doctor.